Thursday 1 September 2011

All packed up with somewhere to go.

I was unsure if I'd get the chance to do another post pre-departure but I have some time so have decided to tell you all about the experience of packing for an 8 month trip and the other things I've been up to.

Yesterday (also known as 2 days to go) I had to face the task of packing everything I would need/want for the next 8 months into two suitcases which couldn't exceed 23kg in weight each. I happily inform you that with a lot of help from my wonderful mother and some compromises on my part (some very beloved things are being left behind) it is possible. I just hope I don't get to Canada and suddenly remember that one thing I just couldn't possible live without. 

Another exciting thing that happened yesterday is my wonderful sister used part of her lunch break to go and get the Cath Kidston bag I wanted but was sold out everywhere I had attempted to get one from. Thus I am now the happy owner of a new spotty oil cloth saddle bag which I will be using to hold all my important study tools while I'm abroad. 

Less exciting, but still very much part of the process, things that have happened are the goodbyes (or see you in 8 months). I'd done the majority of these already, but over the last couple of days I've added several more friends and grandparents to the list. Only the hardest remain, the family and the boyfriend. 

Despite this slightly sad side to things I'm still so incredibly excited for what tomorrow and beyond holds. As I said to a fellow study abroader earlier today: while we may be saying goodbyes today, think of all the hellos that start with tomorrow. 

I leave you with that thought, as I'm all packed up with somewhere to go, speak to you when I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment